Adapt bash readline operate-and-get-next

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 15:06:01 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Lele Gaifax <lele at metapensiero.it> wrote:
> Even if I know this is not the right forum and I should (and I
> eventually do, assuming a positive feedback) instead open a ticket and
> attach the patch there, I'd like to hear opinions on whether this should
> be enabled by default, and possibly get in touch with some Apple
> owner...

Looks reasonable to me, at least if I understand the intent correctly.
I've never used this functionality in bash (wasn't aware it existed).
I assume the intention here is to easily re-execute compound
statements pulled from saved history. Does your position in the
history disappear if you operate_and_get_next(), then modify the next
recalled input line? When you are finished with a series of Ctl-O
keystrokes I presume you (as the user) press Ctl-U or Ctl-K to clear
the input buffer?

Skip