GIL detector

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Aug 17 11:26:22 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano schrieb am 17.08.2014 um 16:21:
> I wonder whether Ruby programmers are as obsessive about
> Ruby's GIL?

I actually wonder more whether Python programmers are really all that
obsessive about CPython's GIL. Sure, there are always the Loud Guys who
speak up when they feel like no-one's mentioned it for too long, but I'd
expect the vast majority to be just ok with the status quo and not think
about it most of the time. Or, well, think about it when one of the Loud
Guys takes the megaphone, but then put their thoughts back in the attic and
keep doing their daily work.

Personally, I like the GIL. It helps me keep my code simpler and more
predictable. I don't have to care about threading issues all the time and
can otherwise freely choose the right model of parallelism that suits my
current use case when the need arises (and threads are rarely the right
model). I'm sure that's not just me.

Stefan