string encoding regex problem

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 16 00:35:26 EDT 2014

Philipp Kraus wrote:

> The code works till last week correctly, I don't change the pattern. My
> question is, can it be
> a problem with string encoding? Did I mask the question mark and quotes
> correctly?

If you didn't change the code, how could the *exact same code* not mask the
question mark last week, but this week suddenly start masking it, despite
not changing?

There are three things that can cause a change in behaviour:

- the re module has changed;

- the pattern has changed;

- the text you are searching has changed.

Have you removed the re module and replaced it with a different one? Did you
update Python to a new version?

Have you changed the regex search pattern?

Has the text you are searching changed? Websites upgrade their HTML quite
frequently. Perhaps the Boost website has changed enough to break your
regex.

--
Steven