string encoding regex problem

Philipp Kraus philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de
Fri Aug 15 22:08:20 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-16 00:48:46 +0000, Roy Smith said:

> In article <lsm8ic$j90$1 at online.de>,
>  Philipp Kraus <philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de> wrote:
>
>> found = re.search( "<a
>> href=\"/projects/boost/files/latest/download\?source=files\"
>> title=\"/boost/(.*)",
>> Utilities.URLReader("http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/")
>> )
>> if found == None :
>> 	raise MyError.StopError("Boost Download URL not found")
>>
>> But found is always None, so I cannot get the correct match. I didn't
>> find the error in my code.
>
> I would start by breaking this down into pieces.  Something like:
>
>> data =
>> Utilities.URLReader("http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/")
>>
>> )
>> print data
>> found = re.search( "<a
>> href=\"/projects/boost/files/latest/download\?source=files\"
>> title=\"/boost/(.*)",
>> data)
>> if found == None :
>> raise MyError.StopError("Boost Download URL not found")
>
> Now at least you get to look at what URLReader() returned.  Did it
> return what you expected?  If not, then there might be something wrong
> in your URLReader() function.

I have check the result of the (sorry, I forgot this information on my
first post). The URLReader
returns the HTML code of the URL, so this seems to work correctly

>  If it is what you expected, then I would
> start looking at the pattern to see if it's correct.  Either way, you've
> managed to halve the size of the problem.

The code works till last week correctly, I don't change the pattern. My
question is, can it be
a problem with string encoding? Did I mask the question mark and quotes
correctly?

Phil