Logging multiple formats to the same file

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at technologyhighland.invalid
Fri Aug 15 17:38:24 EDT 2014

So I've got my program log going to a RotatingFileHandler (actually a
subclass that ensmartens the umask, but I digress).  I'd like to be
able to provide information to the logger that is formatted two
different ways, primarily just so that I can provide a Program Started
message into the log.

What I've got going right now works, but boy it feels like I had to
butcher the intent of the logging module to pull it off.  Does anyone
have any better ideas than...

class BannerFormatter(logging.Formatter):
	"""
	Uses the assigned formatting, unless the name of the logger is
	'BANNER', in which case we use the special alternate banner
format. """
	def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
		self.normal = logging.Formatter(*args, **kwargs)
		self.banner = logging.Formatter(
			'\n\n%(asctime)s - ********** %(message)s **********'
		)
	def format(self, record):
		if record.name == 'BANNER':
			return self.banner.format(record)
		else:
			return self.normal.format(record)

logging.getLogger('BANNER').critical('Starting program.')