Captcha identify

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:20:40 EDT 2014

On 08/13/2014 02:18 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Tim Chase
> <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>> On 2014-08-13 12:24, Chris Kaynor wrote:
>>> Many of the better captchas also include options for an audio cue in
>>> addition to the default visual one.
>>
>> Have you actually tried to use the audio cue?  They're atrocious.  I
>> got more intelligible words out of my old 8-bit SoundBlaster or a
>> de-tuned radio station.  I'm all for just ditching them (and avoiding
>> sites that employ them).
>
> Just like the images, if they were easy to understand then they would
> be easily defeated by a spambot with a speech recognition module.
> I think the effort to make captcha systems more accessible is laudable,
> if perhaps misguided.

Well we seem to be at an impasse then.  But the worst of it is that
captchas aren't effective anymore.  There are thousands of folks (at
least) willing to solve captchas to create various accounts for
nefarious purposes for money.  This happens to gmail all the time, for
example.  Maybe the internet landscape is one giant example of the
tragedy of the commons, with or without captchas.