problem on top-post

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Aug 14 22:41:16 EDT 2014

On 15Aug2014 09:47, luofeiyu <elearn2014 at gmail.com> wrote:
>when i search what top-post mean:
>
>top-post: n., v. [common] To put the newly-added portion of an email or
>    Usenet response before the quoted part, as opposed to the more logical
>    sequence of quoted portion first with original following.
>bottom-post: v. In a news or mail reply, to put the response to a news or
[...]
>    existed. Hackers consider that the best practice is actually to excerpt
>    only the relevent portions of the parent message, then intersperse the
>    poster's response in such a way that each section of response appears
>    directly after the excerpt it applies to. [...]
>    the best way is  to excerpt only the relevent portions of the parent
>    message ,not top-post nor bottom-post , right?

Generally, yes.

It is what we try to use in this list, and applies in most technical forums.

It makes replies read like a conversation, too.

Thanks,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;        - T.S. Eliot, _The Hollow Men_