Captcha identify

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 14 07:42:02 EDT 2014

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 07:39:20 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Wesley <nispray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If my questions make you guys not so happy, I am sorry and please just
>>> ignore.
>>> I just wanna a general suggestion here in the beginning.
>>> Why I need to write such program is just having such requirements, and
>>> has nothing to do with the coding work itself. Don't say something to
>>> prove you're so noble.
>> The general suggestion you're getting is: Do not do this. Many of us
>> here use CAPTCHAs and spend time keeping one step ahead of those who
>> try to break them with software. By writing something to solve
>> CAPTCHAs, you would be stealing time from those people. Don't do it.
>>
>> Am I sufficiently clear?
>>
> you are clear but also missing a really good reason to break captchas.
> handicapped accessibility.  Captchas are a huge barrier to access and in
> many cases push disabled users away from using a service  with captchas.
<Snip>lots of very valid complaints about Captcha usability </snip>

Decent (I use the term loosely because i am no fan either) Captcha
systems also provide options for Audio to assist the Visually impaired. I
am not sure how well it works but can only assume it is an improvement.

One system I have seen removes the need fro captcha completly

Instead it relies on Javascript & AJAX

a short time after loading the page it it requests a unique serial number
from the server using which is added to the form as a hidden field.
if this field & SN is missing from the response then the request is
rejected as coming from a Bot.
since most bots do not (as far as I know) include a Javascript
interpreter this process removes any additional burden from the end user.

unfortunately at present in the battle between service providers & scumm*
the disabled population is an unfortunate victim.

I can't think of another slightly polite word for people who spam or hack
websites.

--
Zeus gave Leda the bird.