newbee

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 13 07:55:17 EDT 2014

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 19:57:14 -0400, Frank Scafidi wrote:

> I just acquired a Raspberry Pi and want to program in Python. I was a
> PL/1 programmer back in the 60's & 70's and Python is similar. I am
> struggling with some very fundamental things that I am not finding in
> the documentation. Can someone help me with the basics like how do I
> save a program I've written, reload it in Python, list the program once
> it's loaded? How do I edit a program? Are these command line functions?
>
> Thanks Frank <div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default"
> style="font-family:georgia,serif;font-size:small;color:#3366ff">I just
> acquired a Raspberry Pi and want to program in Python. I was a PL/1
> programmer back in the 60's & 70's and Python is similar. I
> am struggling with some very fundamental things that I am not finding in
> the documentation. Can someone help me with the basics like how do I
> save a program I've written, reload it in Python, list the program
> once it's loaded? How do I edit a program? Are these command line
> functions? </div>
> style="font-family:georgia,serif;font-size:small;color:#3366ff"><br></
div><div
> class="gmail_default"
> style="font-family:georgia,serif;font-size:small;color:#3366ff">Thanks</
div><div
> class="gmail_default"
> style="font-family:georgia,serif;font-size:small;color:#3366ff">
> Frank</div><div class="gmail_default"
> style="font-family:georgia,serif;font-size:small;color:#3366ff"><br></
div></div>

I am not in the same league as many of the posters here when it comes to
Python but fortunately i do have two Raspberry Pi's :-)

if you are running the Pi connected to a TV/Monitor with the Gui enabled
then you should have access to Idle as well as a number of text editors
(Geany works well if installed)

if you are using it from the commands line then as previously stated you
need to use a text editor to write the code (Nano is part of the basic
Raspian Distro and easier to use than VI/Vim)

once you have created your code file type python <file Name> at the
command prompt

remember if you are connecting to the Pi remotely Via SSH it is useful to
have multiple connections open, one for the text editor & 1 to enable you
to run the code or execute other Linux commands.

If you have any more questions post them back &I hope I can help
(Maybe I can become useful to this group as the R-Pi expert, hopefully
more productively than some of the groups other 'Experts')

--
Expect the worst, it's the least you can do.