Python in financial services

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:07:51 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ive been asked to formulate a python course for financial services folk.
>
> If I actually knew about the subject, I'd have fatter pockets!
> Anyway heres some thoughts. What I am missing out?
>
> [Apart from basic python -- contents typically needs tailoring to the audience] the following:
>
> - Libraries -- Decimal?
> - scripts -- philosophy and infrastructure eg argparse, os.path
> - Pandas
> - Numpy Scipy (which? how much?)
> - ipython + matplotlib + ??
> - Database interfacing
> - Excel interfacing (couple of libraries.. which?)
> - C(C++?) interfacing paradigms -- ranging from ctypes, cython to classic lo-level

I'm not 100% sure what you're looking for. I work for a hedge fund and
we make extensive use of python. Everything from soup to nuts: ETL,
web scraping, database access (sybase, MySQL, and Oracle), log file
archiving and reaping, wrappers for backups, startup and shutdown
scripts for our C++ servers, GIUs (with wxpython), socket based
communication with C++ servers, just about every problem that comes
up.