Linux distros w/o Python in "base" installation

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 06:00:27 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I just installed Arch Linux for the first time, and was surprosed to
> find that Python isn't installed as part of a "base" system.  It's
> also not included in the 'base-devel' package group.  It's trivial to
> install, but I'd still pretty surprised it's not there by default.  I
> guess I've spent too much time with Gentoo, Debian, and RedHat
> derivitives which require Python be installed.
>
> I've probably used at least a dozen Linux distros over the years, and
> this is the first time I've noticed that Python wasn't installed by
> default.

Arch has a different idea of “base system”.  The base group contains
the most crucial packages needed to run an Arch Linux system, and that
is all.  And you do not need Python to do so.  Nevertheless, most
people will likely install Python by themselves, or with a package
that depends on Python.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
> It would seem that such distros are opting to not be LSB-compliant?:
> http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Languages/LSB-Languages/pylocation.html

Arch does not really care about LSB, AFAIK.

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16