Quoting and attribution (was: Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python])

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 22:13:14 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I cannot disagree with that. I consider that the first-level attribution
> MUST be given, second-level SHOULD be given, and third- and subsequent
> levels MAY be given, where MUST/SHOULD/MAY have their conventional
> meanings from RFC 2119.
>
> https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

That's fair. It's also very easy to give first-level attribution (just
set your client up properly and that's that), while giving
second-level means carefully retaining it from upstream. If it's easy
(if you're quoting the beginning of the quote), then it's still of
value, but it's not as important as first-level.

ChrisA