Python Object Systems

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Mon Aug 11 18:56:11 EDT 2014

On 14-08-11 04:26 PM, thequietcenter at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, has anyone created a survey of Python Object Systems? The two I am aware of are:
>
> - elk https://github.com/frasertweedale/elk
> - Traits http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/
Here's the ones from my talk at Pycon 2005
(http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/descriptors-pycon2005.pdf):

OpenGLContext/PyVRML97
     http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mcfletch/pyvrml97/trunk/files
     Observable, auto-coercing data properties w/ Numeric/numpy array
support, defaults
BasicProperty (now largely abandoned):
     http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mcfletch/basicproperty/trunk/files
     Again, observable auto-coercing typed properties, defaults,
introspection
Zope2
     FieldProperty, DublinCore, Validation, Observability
PEAK
     Defaults, delegation, implicit feature loading
Traits
     Delegation, typing, validation, defaults, Observability, introspection
PyObjc, ctypes, JythonC, IronPython
     Function-like things with lots of metadata

There's also a listing of the other tasks for which descriptors/object
systems were expected to show up at the time, if you look for Python +
that key-word you'll likely find a few dozen more "object systems" out
there.  You'll also likely find about a thousand metaclasses these days.

HTH,
Mike

   Mike C. Fletcher
   Designer, VR Plumber, Coder