how to get the ordinal number in list

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 09:57:38 EDT 2014

On 11/08/2014 13:30, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2014-08-11 07:55, Roy Smith wrote:
>>> A C programmer asked to swap variables x and y, typically writes
>>> something like
>>>
>>> t = x; x = y; y = t;
>>>
>>> Fine, since C cant do better.
>>
>> Sure C can do better.
>>
>> x = x ^ y
>> y = y ^ x
>> x = x ^ y
>>
>> Any self-respecting C hacker would write it this way :-)
>
> Pish, such redundancy...everyone knows a C programmer would write
> that as
>
>   x ^= y
>   y ^= x
>   x ^= y
>
> :-)
>
> -tkc

That says the LHS is assigned the RHS rotated by some angle, which I'll
assume to be 90 degrees clockwise, yes?  Well I don't suppose it really
matters for x as it'll still be x when it gets assigned to y, but what
would you call the shift on y that gets assigned to x?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence