Python 3.4.1 install does not create a file association for .py files on Windows

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 5 18:16:15 EDT 2014

On 8/5/2014 3:36 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
> I install Python 3.4.1 64-bit on Windows. After the install I type:

I have done the same, on Win 7, but I had previous installs going back 3
years on this machine.

> assoc .py
>
> and I get back:
>
> File association not found for extension .py

I get
C:\Users\Terry>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

C:\Users\Terry>assoc .pyw
.pyw=Python.NoConFile

C:\Users\Terry>assoc .pyo
.pyo=Python.CompiledFile

C:\Users\Terry>assoc .pyc
.pyc=Python.CompiledFile

None of this specifies the program, which is currently Python Launcher
for Windows (console).  (See Control Panel / Default Programs / Set
Associations.)

> Why does not the Python install to associate extension .py with the
> Python Launcher for Windows ?

Somewhere during the install, there is a checkbox or something about
grabbing file associations or about making the install the default
version. I do not remember.

--
Terry Jan Reedy