Making every no-arg method a property?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 5 17:14:15 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-05, Christian Calderon <calderon.christian760 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using python for 4 years now, and I just started learning
> ruby. I like that in ruby I don't have to type parenthesis at the end
> of each function call if I don't need to provide extra arguments.

Did I miss a news story?  Have the parentesis mines all exploded
causing the price of parenthesis to skyrocket?

> I just realized right now that I can do something similar in python,
> if I make all methods with only the implicitly passed 'self' into
> properties. Which means I can either do some fancy coding and make a
> metaclass that does this auto-magically, or I have to have property
> decorators all over the place :-P

Here's an idea: when using Python, write Python.

Just type the parens. I know it requires hitting the shift key and
all, but it's not that hard -- especially if you have two hands.

If you want to write Ruby, then use Ruby.

> I was wondering what other thought of this, is it an overly fanciful
> way of coding python,

IMO, it's a huge waste of time and an excellent way to reduce both
readability and maintainability of your code.

> or is it an acceptable thing to do in a real project?

No.  It's not acceptable.  Not even a tiny bit.

> Also, would anyone be interested in helping me make this metaclass?

Um...

[I have the nagging feeling I've been trolled...]

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Everywhere I look I
                                  at               see NEGATIVITY and ASPHALT