Tcl/Tk alpha channel bug on OSX Mavericks is fixeded, but how/when can I use the fix?

Peter Tomcsanyi tomcsanyi at slovanet.sk
Mon Aug 4 05:40:14 EDT 2014

"Kevin Walzer" <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote in message
news:lrmc0r$suj$1 at dont-email.me...
> New releases of Tcl/Tk 8.5 and 8.6 are due out soon; right now they are
> undergoing final testing as betas/release candidates.

Thanks for the promising news.
Where should I look for the announcement that there is something new?
Is this the correct place?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/

But will be the 8.5. branch updated, too?
I need 8.5 because CPython on Mac does not yet use 8.6...
I cannot see there 8.5.15.1 (at least that is how ActiveTcl is numbered)
which solved some oter Mavericks issues in October 2013 (all 8.5. files are
older than October 2013)...
So will be there a 8.5.16?

> you can download the source tarballs for Tcl and Tk when they are
> released, untar them to a specific directory, cd to the directory, and run
> these commands:
>
> make -C $insert_tcl_dirname_here/macosx
> make -C $insert_tk_dirname_here/macosx
>
> and then
>
> sudo make -C $insert_tcl_dirname_here/macosx install
> sudo make -C $insert_tk_dirname_here/macosx install

I have some command line skills and I have the command line developer tools
installed (is that enough?), but I am not sure if I understand which
directory's name is $insert_tcl_dirname_here (I suppose that the $ sign
belongs to the name of the "variable", am I right?). Is it the directory
where I unterd tcl (and which is under the directory where i cd-ed to)?

> This will install the updated version of Tcl and Tk in
> /Library/Frameworks, and Python should pick them up.

Well, should...
I will try. But when I followed a similar procedure of installing the tkpng
package then after "sudo make install" it seemed to be ok, but it was
apparently added to other version of Tk than CPython is using...
Can somebody else confirm or disconfirm that the above procedure will
install the new Tcl/Tk to that place where CPython (that is already
installed) will pick it from? Or do I need to reinstall CPython after this?
Or...?

Thanks

Peter Tomcsanyi