cmd.exe on WIndows - problem with displaying some Unicode characters

Andrew Berg aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu
Mon Aug 4 01:06:39 EDT 2014

On 2014.08.03 23:14, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> Having read a bit about ConEmu, it seems that it is a "pretty face" built on
> top of Windows Console, by screen scraping the real (but hidden) Windows
> Console, and providing a number of interesting display features and modes. So
> while it adds functionality to the Windows Console interface, it doesn't seem
> like it is likely to fix bugs or resolve issues with code pages, font
> selection, or Unicode character repertoires, which are the issues of this
> thread and the bug I referenced earlier.
>
> Can anyone with ConEmu installed refute this interpretation of its functionality?

If you run cmd in it, you will still need to use cp65001. This is not necessary
for  (or applicable to) other applications (such as a Python interpreter) run
directly. ConEmu can use any arbitrary font available on the system. As I have
said, I have been able to display Unicode output on it from an application
written in Python. No mojibake, no replacement characters, just the exact
characters one would expect.
I do not know the internals of ConEmu and how it interacts with conhost and
whatever else, but I have not found a need to since it has just worked for me.