Correct type for a simple "bag of attributes" namespace object

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Aug 3 21:00:57 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I don't know enough about prototyped OOP to really give a definitive answer,
> but I believe that the popularity of class-based OOP is because there is a
> huge body of theory on types,

I think it's more than that. I thought about prototype-based
OO systems in some depth a while ago, and I came to the
conclusion that the supposed simplification that comes
from not having classes is an illusion.

It *seems* simpler to have only one kind of object and
allow any object to inherit from any other. But actually
using it in such an undisciplined way would lead to chaos.

In practice, you end up with two groups of objects, with
one being used in a class-like way, and the other in an
instance-like way. So you effectively have classes anyway,
whether you call them that or not.

--
Greg