Python crashing when script is running against live system

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:20:28 EDT 2014

Hi, ALL,
I'm working on the script that should starting from the given
directory enumerate all directories and files underneath and
calculates the hash value of such file.
It works fine when I start it from some particular directory, but when
I give the "C:\" it crashes python.

The last thing the script processes is the file in cmdcons directory,
which is AFAIU from the ComboFix run.
I have Windows XP SP3 with python 2.7.

Now, I'm confused.
My questions are:

1. Am I able to catch such situation and see where the crash occur?
2. If not, what is the proper way to debug such situation?

I am getting the window saying that python.exe has encountered a
problem and needs to close.

The last file processed was "c:\cmdcons\dpti20.sy_".

What strange about it that when I run the script under debugger (I'm
using winpdb), it is running further and crashing on some other file.

Thank you for any help tracking down the issue.