cmd.exe on WIndows - problem with displaying some Unicode characters

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:14:03 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just played around with a CP-437 decode of everything 128-255,
> rendered in various different fonts, all using my MUD client on
> Windows. (For what it's worth, it renders using GTK2 and Pango. But I
> suspect this is more a font issue than a display engine one.) Most
> fonts had those little boxes-with-numbers for most of the line drawing
> characters, but Lucida Sans Unicode, Meiryo, and Tahoma all managed to
> display all the characters. However, I wasn't able to visually
> distinguish between the single-line and double-line characters, so you
> may want to play around with it a bit more.

Hmm. Actually... I'd mucked up my CP-437 decode. For instance, I'd
represented 0xC8 as U+251D BOX DRAWINGS VERTICAL LIGHT AND RIGHT
HEAVY, where it's actually U+255A BOX DRAWINGS DOUBLE UP AND RIGHT.
When I get the right characters, the default fonts on Windows work
just fine. (There's still the issue that the supposedly "HEAVY" lines
are coming out with the exact same thickness as the "LIGHT" lines, but
that's unlikely to bother you as you don't need those characters.)

So, conclusion: If you do the drawing yourself, all those characters
are fine. Go ahead and use them!

ChrisA