3 Suggestions to Make Python Easier For Children

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 2 19:12:28 EDT 2014

On 8/2/2014 3:46 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 02/08/2014 07:45, Mark Summerfield wrote:
>> Last week I spent a couple of days teaching two children (10 and 13 --
>> too big an age gap!) how to do some turtle graphics with Python.
>> Neither had programmed Python before -- one is a Minecraft ace and the
>> other had done Scratch.
>>
>> Suggestion #1: Make IDLE start in the user's home directory.
>
> Entirely agree.  Please raise an enhancement request on the bug tracker
> if there isn't already one.
>

>> Suggestion #2: Make all the turtle examples begin "from turtle import
>> *" so no leading turtle. is needed in the examples.
>
> I'm not so sure about this, but raise an enhancement request and see
> what happens.   Worst case it gets rejected, best case it gets accepted,
> implemented and patch applied.
>

>> Suggestion #3: Make object(key=value, ...) legal and equiv of
>> types.SimpleNamespace(key=value, ...).
>
> Haven't the faintest idea and too lazy to find out :)  I suggest follow
> advice from #2.

Mark L: I think that redirecting discussion to the tracker a hour after
these ideas were posted, certainly for #2 and #3, which you were
rightfully unsure about, was a bit premature.  Enhancement ideas
generally benefit from being cooked a bit longer on one or another
discussion list.

--
Terry Jan Reedy