Bug with help (was Re: Getting a list of all modules)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 08:13:27 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-02 09:33, Heinz Schmitz wrote:

>>> Have you reported this at bugs.python.org or is there already an issue
>>> for the problem that you see?
>
>> It is this issue for python2.7:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.7/+bug/896836
>>
>> python3 doesn't crash with currently installed packages.
>
> Python 2.7 on Windows XP Sp2 doesn't crash with this. So it seems to
> be a python<->OS-problem.

Well, it's just that `help('modules')` imports every module in the calling
process (at least in Python 2.7; I haven't checked Python 3). Some extension
modules conflict with each other and cause a crash when both are imported
together. It's possible that you just don't have such modules installed. While
the proximate cause of the crash is in the 3rd party modules, Python could (and
maybe Python 3 does) import each module in a separate subprocess and collect the
information that way.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."