Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:50:13 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> The installer has basically three choices.
>> 1) Install libnettle inside the application directory
>> 2) Install libnettle to some system library directory
>> 3) Don't install libnettle, and demand that someone else (perhaps the
>> user, or the system package manager) install it.
>>
>> Option 2 is exactly what you're complaining about,
>> scattering files all over the FS.
>

> Not really. On MacOSX, if you installed a shared library
> called libnettle, *all* the files relating to it
> would be kept in one directory called Nettle.framework
> (either in /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks
> depending on whether it's system-wide or for a single user).
>
> MacOSX doesn't currently have an automatic dependency
> manager, but if it did, things would still be a lot neater
> and tidier than they are in Linux or Windows, where what
> is conceptually a single object (a package) gets split up
> and its parts scattered around several obscure locations.

That's fine if I explicitly install libnettle - that's the third
option. What happens if I install Foo's Cool Chat App, and FCCA uses
libnettle to encrypt conversations? Is FCCA allowed to install
libnettle into /Library/Frameworks? If so, its files will be split
between there and its own app directory.

ChrisA