Significant digits in a float?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Apr 30 14:18:15 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-29, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

>> What reason do you have to think that something recorded to 14
>> decimal places was only intended to have been recorded to 4?
>
> Because I understand the physical measurement these numbers represent.
> Sometimes, Steve, you have to assume that when somebody asks a question,
> they actually have asked the question then intended to ask.

Sometimes.  But the smart money bets against it -- especially when
people are asking about floating point. :)

It doesn't sound to me like you have enough information to reliably do
what you want to do, but parsing the string representation is probably
the best way to go.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! HELLO KITTY gang
                                  at               terrorizes town, family