Off-topic circumnavigating the earth in a mile or less [was Re: Significant digits in a float?]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Apr 30 10:02:20 EDT 2014

On 04/30/2014 06:14 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:

>>>  From how many locations on Earth can someone walk one mile south, one mile
>>> east, and one mile north and end up at their starting point?
>>
>> Any point where the mile east takes you an exact number of times
>> around the globe. So, anywhere exactly one mile north of that, which
>> is a number of circles not far from the south pole.
>
> It is my contention, completely unbacked by actual research, that if you find such a spot (heading a mile east takes you
> an integral number of times around the pole), that there is not enough Earth left to walk a mile north so that you could
> then turn-around a walk a mile south to get back to such a location.

Wow.  It's amazing how writing something down, wrongly (I originally had north and south reversed), correcting it,
letting some time pass (enough to post the message so one can be properly embarrassed ;), and then rereading it later
can make something so much clearer!

Or maybe it was the morning caffeine.  Hmmm.

At any rate, I withdraw my contention, it is clear to me now (at least until the caffeine wears off).

--
~Ethan~