Significant digits in a float?

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 29 20:20:28 EDT 2014

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The problem is you won't know *which* 90% is accurate, and which 10% is
> inaccurate. This is very different from the glass, where it's evident
> which part is good.

Hmm. Re-reading the suggestion, I see that it is fairly predictable
which estimates of precision will be inaccurate: the ones which end in
explicit zeroes are more uncertain in their intended precision.

--
 \     “[F]reedom of speech does not entail freedom to have your ideas |
  `\    accepted by governments and incorporated into law and policy.” |