how to build and install multiple micro-level major.minor versions of Python

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Apr 29 15:13:26 EDT 2014

On Apr 29, 2014, at 11:53 , Brent S. Elmer Ph.D. <webe3vt at aim.com> wrote:
> Yes, I already use --prefix to build to a different path.  I guess that
> is what I need to do but I would rather have a way to have the build and
> install process install to the micro level.

Python deliberately does not provide a way to install to the micro level as an important "contract" in the Python maintenance and release process is to maintain ABI compatibility among maintenance (i.j.k) releases in the same major release series (i.j).  We sometimes fail in that but we do try really hard to make it painless to move from i.j.k to i.j.x.  That's also why we only supply fixes for the most recent micro release.

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at acm.org -- []