MacOS 10.9.2: threading error using python.org 2.7.6 distribution

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:00:31 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Matthew Pounsett
<matt.pounsett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind.  I have to wonder how much of a problem it is here though, since I was able to demonstrate a functioning fork inside a new thread further up in the discussion.

Yeah, it's really hard to pin down sometimes. I once discovered a
problem whereby I was unable to spin off subprocesses that did certain
things, but I could do a trivial subprocess (I think I fork/exec'd to
the echo command or something) and that worked fine. Turned out to be
a bug in one of my signal handlers, but the error was being reported
at the point of the forking.

> I have a new development that I find interesting, and I'm wondering if you still think it's the same problem.
>
> I have taken that threading object and turned it into a normal function definition.  It's still forking the external tool, but it's doing so in the main thread, and it is finished execution before any other threads are created.   And I'm still getting the same error.

Interesting. That ought to eliminate all possibility of
thread-vs-process issues. Can you post the smallest piece of code that
exhibits the same failure?

ChrisA