Unicode in Python

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 04:57:15 EDT 2014

Le samedi 26 avril 2014 15:38:29 UTC+2, Ian a écrit :
> On Apr 26, 2014 3:46 AM, "Frank Millman" <fr... at chagford.com> wrote:
>

> > <wxjm... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > news:03bb12d8-93be-4ef6-94ae-4a02789aea2d at googlegroups.com...
>
> > > ==========
>

> > > I wrote once 90 % of Python 2 apps (a generic term) supposed to
>
> > > process text, strings are not working.
>

> > > In Python 3, that's 100 %. It is somehow only by chance, apps may
>
> > > give the illusion they are properly working.
>

> > It is quite frustrating when you make these statements without explaining
>
> > what you mean by 'not working'.
>
> As far as anybody has been able to determine, what jmf means by "not working" is  that strings containing the EURO character are handled less efficiently than strings that do not contain it in certain contrived test cases.

----

Python 2.7 + cp1252:
- Solid and coherent system (nothing to do with the Euro).

Python 3:
- It missed the unicode shift.
- Covering the whole unicode range will not make
Python a unicode compliant product.
- Flexible String Representation (a problem per se),
a mathematical absurditiy which does the opposite of
the coding schemes endorsed by Unicord.org (sheet of
paper and pencil!)
- Very deeply buggy (quadrature of the circle problem).

Positive side:
- A very nice tool to teach the coding of characters
and unicode.

jmf