Installing PyGame?

Andrea D'Amore anddamNOALPASTICCIODICARNE+gruppi at brapi.net
Sat Apr 26 02:57:39 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-25 23:57:21 +0000, Gregory Ewing said:

> I don't know what you're doing to hose your system that badly.
> I've never had a problem that couldn't be fixed by deleting
> whatever the last thing was I added that caused it.

The actual problem with the "native MacOSX way" is that there's no
official way to uninstall a package once it's installed.

> Also the problems I had with one of the third-party package
> managers was because it *didn't* keep its own stuff properly
> separated. It installed libraries on my regular library path
> so that they got picked up by things that they weren't
> appropriate for.

This most likely was not MacPorts, its default install path is not
checked by dyld by default.

> But I use a wide
> variety of libraries, not all of them available that way,
> and many of them installed from source, and I find it's
> less hassle overall to do everything the native MacOSX way
> wherever possible.

Well, the "native" MacOSX way would probably be registering a package
via installer(8) not compiling from source.

As long as you're comfortable with your system then it's good for you.
In my experience the more libraries/software I install the more useful
a package manager becomes in terms of stray files left when upgrading or
uninstalling.

I use a mix of MacPorts to provide the base tools and virtualenv for
project-specific pypi libraries.

--
Andrea