Installing PyGame?

Ryan Hiebert ryan at ryanhiebert.com
Thu Apr 24 23:59:04 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> In article <brtt0jF10jjU1 at mid.individual.net>,
>  Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> > My advice would be to steer clear of things like Fink and MacPorts
> > and do things the native MacOSX way wherever possible. That means
> > using a framework installation of Python and framework versions of
> > the various libraries that PyGame uses.
>
> FYI, MacPorts Pythons are framework installations.  And I disagree that
> installing a bunch of disparate software from various sources via binary
> installers and/or source is to be preferred to a modern third-party
> package manager on OS X like MacPorts or Homebrew.  That's just setting
> yourself up for a long-term maintenance headache.  What could be easier
> than:
>
>     sudo port install py27-game
>
> I'd love to hear more about Greg's take on MacPorts. I've chosen to use
MacPorts because it keeps things separate, because when things get hosed
using the system libraries, I don't have to erase my whole system to get
back to a "vanilla" OS X install. Unfortunately, it seems like the
differences in which libraries are used, what options are enabled at
library build time, etc, make it difficult to ensure that things always
work when you try to use the stuff built-in to the system, and untangling
the Homebrew mess can be painful.