Why Python 3?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 20 06:07:07 EDT 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:26:53 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

> One of the problems is you don't know in advance if something is going
> to stop you.  By committing to P3 now, you are eliminating from possible
> future use, all of those third-party modules which only support P2.  And
> you don't know which of those you'll need until you sometime in the
> future.

I believe this is more of an issue in theory than in practice. My on-line
web portal app could potentially use any of a thousand different Python
2.x only libraries, but in practice I'm probably only going to use half a
dozen libraries, or fewer, and know very early in the design phase what I
need (web templating software, yes, library to control radio telescopes,
probably not). And I'm likely to eliminate from contention most libraries
that seem unsupported or abandoned, and if they only support Python 2
five years since the introduction of Python 3, they better have a good
reason for it.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/