Why Python 3?

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 23:28:05 EDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

So I've been working with Python for a while and I'm starting to take
on more and more serious projects with it. I've been reading a lot
about Python 2 vs Python 3 and the community kind of seems split on
which should be used.

Some say 'Python 3 is the future, use it for everything now' and other
say 'Python 3 is the future but you can't do everything in it now so
use Python 2'.

What is the general feel of /this/ community? I'm about to start a
large scale Python project. Should it be done in 2 or 3? What are the
benefits, aside from the 'it's the future' argument?

Thanks,
Anthony