Martijn Faassen: The Call of Python 2.8

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:04:20 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> So not only do we have a schism between python2 and python3 but there's
>> one between 3.0 and 3.3. I can't help but wonder if PEP 414 was a
>> mistake.
>

> I still believe that PEP 404 was the correct thing to do.  PEP 414 was a no
> brainer :)

I'm pretty sure the 414 there wasn't a typo, since he's talking about
the schism between 3.0 and 3.3. But let's face it, there's a *lot* of
schism between there, and it's all the same sort of thing: code
written for 3.0 will usually run happily on 3.3, and code written to
take advantage of 3.3's features won't work on 3.0. That's kinda how
new versions work, yaknow...

ChrisA