python obfuscate

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 08:07:57 EDT 2014

CM <cmpython at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're saying that fear of patent trolls is yet another bad reason to
> obfuscate your code?  But then it almost sounds like you think it is a
> justifiable reason. So I don't think I understand your point.  Whether a
> patent troll has your original code or not has no bearing on the patent
> infringement.

There might be no infringment. Patent trolls usually possess invalid
patents, as they constitute no real invention. These are usually not
engineers who have invented something, but lawyers who have been granted
patent on vague thoughts for the purpose of "selling protection". The US
patent office has allowed this to happen, by believing that any invalid
patent can be challenged in court, so their review process is close to
non-existent. If patent trolls have your code they are in a better position
to blackmail. They can use your code to generate bogus "legal documents" in
the thousands, and thereby turn up your legal expenses.

Sturla