python obfuscate

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:09:48 EDT 2014

On 4/10/14 8:29 PM, Wesley wrote:

>    Does python has any good obfuscate?

    Others have answered this well, but I thought I would give you
another opinion, perhaps more direct.

    Obfuscation (hiding) of your source is *bad*,  usually done for one
of the following reasons:
    1) Boss is paranoid and fears loss of revenues due to intellectual
property theft.
    2) Boss is ignorant of reverse engineering strategies available to
folks who want to get to the heart of the matter.
    3) Boss and|or coders are embarrassed for clients (or other coders)
to see their art, or lack thereof. Sometimes this is also wanting to
hide the fact that the product really isn't "worth" the price being
charged for it?!?

    There really is no good reason to obfuscate your code.

> Currently our company wanna release one product developed by
 > python to our customer. But dont's wanna others see the py code.

    This is the age of open source in computer science.

    It is far better to develop a strategy and culture of openness.
Everyone benefits; especially your customers. I recommend the GPLv3
license. I also advocate for copyleft. How to leverage openness for
capital gain, you might ask? Answer: provide a value add. Its not just
about your code, or your "product". It should also be about your
service, maintenance, support, packing, manuals, news letters, &c.

    Deliberately obfuscating your code is a negative; please consider an
alternative strategy.

marcus