Teaching python to non-programmers

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 11 07:48:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:01:46 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM, alister
> <alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Right up to the point when someone forwards on an internal email chain
>> to an external customer without bothering to prune out the bit where
>> someone (usually an engineer like myself) has stated (bluntly) that
>> what the salesman is proposing will never work*.
>>
>> the longer the chain the more likely it is for something like that to
>> be missed by the sender who wont have bothered to read everything (for
>> some reason the recipient always finds the embarrassing statements).
>>
>> *Or some other commercially sensitive & even more damming piece of
>> information.
>
> According to Snopes, that has happened in an email variant of the old
> "send this guy the standard cockroach letter" story (which is itself
> plausible and not provably false):
>
> http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/bedbug.asp
>
> ChrisA

forget Snopes I have personally been hauled into a managers office
because something i put in an email to another member of staff was then
forwarded to the customer.

Fortunately my defence of "internal emails should not be being forwarded
to customers without being sanitised" was accepted (& the other member of
staff educated)

--
Code like that would not pass through anybody's yuck-o-meter.

	- Linus Torvalds about design on linux-kernel