python obfuscate

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 11 07:44:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 04:22:49 -0600, Ian Kelly wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The only reliable way to prevent a customer from reverse-engineering
>>> your software is to not give them the software.
>>
>> Not really...
>
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> It depends on the threat and how competent persons you want to protect
>> your code from. If this comes from your boss, chances are he does not
>> know that even x86 machine code can be decompiled. So as many has said,
>> this is mostly futile business. The only way to protect your code is
>> never to ship anything.
>
> How is that last statement different from the one I made above, that you
> disagreed with?

Isn't it obvious? When *you* say something, you're making a knee-jerk
reaction without considering all the circumstances, so even if you're
right you're right for the wrong reasons and hence wrong. But when *I*
say the same thing, I've made a deep and careful consideration of all the
nuances and therefore am right for the right reasons and hence right.

:-)

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/