Teaching python to non-programmers

Lalitha Prasad K lalithaprasad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 11:54:48 EDT 2014

Dear List

Recently I was requested to teach python to a group of students of GIS
(Geographic Information Systems). Their knowledge of programming is zero.
The objective is to enable them to write plug-ins for GIS software like
QGIS and ArcGIS. It would require them to learn, besides core python, PyQt,
QtDesigner. So my plan is to teach them core python, PyQt, Qt Designer, in
that order. A kind of "bottom up approach". But the students seem to feel
that I should use "top down approach". That is, show them how to write a
plug-in, then PyQt and Qt Designer and then enough of python so they can
handle the above. I don't think, that is possible or a good idea. But I
would like to know, if there are any other approaches.

Thanks and Regards
Lalitha Prasad,