threading

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Apr 8 16:30:37 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-08, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/14 05:56, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>>> There is (or at least, was) another reason.  Creating a new process used
>>> to be far more expensive than creating a new thread.  In modern  Unix
>>> kernels, however, the cost difference has become much less, so this is
>>> no longer a major issue.
>>
>> Unix maybe, but what about Windows? Is it efficient to create
>> processes under Windows?
>
> Processes are very heavy-weight on Windows.

Not surprising given its VMS heritage.  I remember running shell
scripts under VMS on a VAX-11/780 that took hours to do what would
have taken minutes on an LSI-11 running Unix.  The whole Unix "small
tools working together" paradigm is based on the assumption that
process creation and death are fast and cheap.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I selected E5 ... but
                                  at               I didn't hear "Sam the Sham