Python 2.3 and ODBC

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Apr 8 16:32:40 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-08 22:18, Gabor Urban wrote:
> I am using Python 2.3 on an XP box at my company. (I know it is
> quite outdated, but we could not make the management to upgrade.) I
> have started a pilot project the last week to show the possibility
> of processing incoming XML files and extracting data into Oracle
> tables.
>
> Now I am almost ready, but need to use an ODBC module with Python.
> What do you suggest?

Your project sounds remarkably like one I maintain for a local
business, though I have the luxury of working with Python 2.*4*
under XP on that project. :-)   That said, the differences between
2.3 and 2.4 are pretty minor; decorators being the big difference.

For that project, the company uses mx.ODBC

 http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

which works with 2.4 and might have a 2.3 build available if you dig
hard enough.  If you main goal is to build a good demo and then
promote to newer versions, eGenix might be willing to extend an
unsupported older version along with a developer license.  I know
Marc-Andre Lemburg (of eGenix) lurks here, posting occasionally with
new releases of mxODBC, so he might chime in with details.

> BTW if my demo will be good, we hope to have an aproval to change
> to Python 3.3

I pray all goes well for you, as the constraints of pre-2.5 chafe
horribly. :-)

-tkc