threading

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Apr 8 13:17:22 EDT 2014

Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>:

> No, 10,000 processes will not do.

I never suggested that. In fact, I'm on the record recommending about
two processes per CPU core.

There are many principles on which to allocate threads/processes:
objects, tasks, stimulus sources, CPUs. I'm advocating CPUs.

If you use nonblocking primitives, a single process is enough to keep a
CPU busy and the throughput high. With multiple processors, you need
more processes, but generally not more than one. You should give the
hardware a chance to optimize the dataflows a bit so having some extra
processes is probably a good idea.

Marko