change spacing to two instead of four with pep8 or flake8?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Apr 8 07:53:26 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-08 09:52, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Dennis <daodennis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In Pylint you can change the spacing multiplier from 4 spaces to
> > two in its pylintrc, but for the life of me I cannot find a way
> > to do this with the flake8 / pep8 utilities.
> >
> > I want to avoid ignoring E111 altogether if at all possible,
> > because it may catch other spacing problems that are not as
> > obvious.
>
> You are trying to use tools that enforce a set of rules, one of
> which is “use 4 spaces per indentation level”.  If you don’t agree
> with this rule, simply don’t use tools that enforce these rules.
> It’s that easy.
>
> But note, that E111 is “indentation is not a multiple of four”.
> Which you are never going to listen to anyways if you want 2 spaces
> per indentation level.  If you *really* want to do 2 spaces (and
> look weird), then just ignore that.

It sounds like the OP wants a "indentation is not a multiple of N"
error/warning which would be a more generic (and as you state, look
weird doing so).  I wouldn't expect pep8 to do it, since its goal is
to align with pep8.  But I could see some of the other checkers
having a command-line option to set the expected indentation.

Otherwise, one might just do something like

which will print the offending line numbers on one line followed on
the next line by the offending line's contents.

-tkc