converting strings to hex

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:00:57 EDT 2014

On 4/4/14 5:36 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> If someone is asking for a hint, it's because
> s/he is trying to learn. I'm always willing to help someone learn,
> regardless of whether they're going through a course or currently
> employed or whatever. Sometimes a small hint can be obtained from the
> interpreter itself; but often, it takes a measure of experience to
> grok (one of the differences between the expert and the inexperienced
> is how quickly a traceback can be read - an expert can often go
> straight to the line with the problem); a hint from another Python
> programmer can be immensely helpful, as it can include advice as well
> as a hard "this works, that doesn't".

    I accept that.  It really depends case-by-case at what point the
person asks for help ( tension is really a good teacher sometimes ) and
at what level the help is provided ( give the hint, but maintain the
tension ).

    I particularly agree with your statement above in every venue except
the educational venue where the break-over moment (the teachable moment)
is NOT the moment being queried !  If the student is NOT able to
discover on their own that one 'moment' the teachable moment may be lost
forever, and the student(s) never have the opportunity to visit that
moment again.  Now, was this one of those for Dave, who knows. Beats me.

    I do appreciate your disagreement, and I think you have a good point.

marcus