Two Questions about Python on Windows

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 16:15:36 EDT 2014

On 03/04/2014 18:54, Ian Kelly wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2014 11:12 AM, "Walter Hurry" <walterhurry at gmail.com
> <mailto:walterhurry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Normally my Python development is done on FreeBSD and Linux. I know
> that on *ix I simply have to make foo.py executable (the shebang line is
> present, of course) to make it runnable.
>  >
>  > For my son's school assignment, I have to help him with Python for
> Windows.
>  >
>  > As I understand it, on Windows a .py file is not executable, so I
> need to run 'python foo py', or use a .pyw file.
>  >
>  > Question 1: Do I make a .pyw file simply by copying or renaming
> foo.py to foo.pyw?
>
> Yes. The only distinction between .py and .pyw is that the Python
> installer associates the former with Python.exe and the latter with
> Pythonw.exe. Pythonw runs the script without creating a console window
> for stdin/stdout.

Not with more modern versions of Python.

c:\Users\Mark>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

c:\Users\Mark>ftype Python.File
Python.File="C:\Windows\py.exe" "%1" %*

c:\Users\Mark>assoc .pyw
.pyw=Python.NoConFile

c:\Users\Mark>ftype Python.NoConFile
Python.NoConFile="C:\Windows\pyw.exe" "%1" %*

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---