Two Questions about Python on Windows

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:06:29 EDT 2014

Normally my Python development is done on FreeBSD and Linux. I know that on *ix I simply have to make foo.py executable (the shebang line is present, of course) to make it runnable.

For my son's school assignment, I have to help him with Python for Windows.

As I understand it, on Windows a .py file is not executable, so I need to run 'python foo py', or use a .pyw file.

Question 1: Do I make a .pyw file simply by copying or renaming foo.py to foo.pyw?

Secondly, on *ix, if there's an up-to-date .pyc in the right place and I run foo.py, Python will automagically use foo.pyc.

Question 2: Does it work the same way on Windows, and does this apply both to foo.py and foo.pyw?