unicode as valid naming symbols

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:44:15 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the discussion... It seems like we're talking
> about a hypothetical definition of identifiers based on Unicode character
> categories, but there's no need: Python 3 has defined precisely that.  From
> the docs
> (https://docs.python.org/3/reference/lexical_analysis.html#identifiers):

"Python 3.0 introduces **additional characters** from outside the
ASCII range" - emphasis mine.

Python currently has - at least, per that documentation - a hybrid
system with ASCII characters defined in the classic way, and non-ASCII
characters defined by their Unicode character classes. I'm talking
about a system that's _purely_ defined by Unicode character classes.
It may turn out that the class list exactly compasses the ASCII
characters listed, though, in which case you'd be right: it's not
hypothetical.

In any case, Pc is included, which I should have checked beforehand.
So that part is, as you say, not hypothetical. Go for it! Use 'em.

ChrisA