Examples of modern GUI python programms

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:14:01 EDT 2014

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:16:07 PM UTC-4, D. Xenakis wrote:
> Id like to ask.. do you know any modern looking GUI examples of windows software written in python? Something like this maybe: http://techreport.com/r.x/asus-x79deluxe/software-oc.jpg (or hopefully something like this android look: http://chromloop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Skype-4.0-Android-screenshot.jpg).
>
> What i need is to develop an android looking program (entirelly in python) for windows, but dunno if this is possible (most propably is), and which tool between those would help me most: tkinter - wxpython - pyqt - pygtk .

I just know wxPython, so I'll discuss that.  I'm pretty sure you could achieve either of those with wxPython, but it isn't really set up to look like that ("modern looking" in your words) by default. wxPython is set up to look *native* for each platform it runs on. On WinXP, for example, toolbars and buttons generally have "system gray" backgrounds, but some widgets can be changed, some can't.  There are custom widgets that are more flexible though are not native.

You could cleverly simulate these sorts of looks with creative use of library-included custom widgets, a few of your own custom widgets possibly, black backgrounds, drawing on a DC directly to the screen, image backgrounds, and a few other things (basically creating your own "skin"). The harder one is probably the first one you linked--the other, Skype on Android, is mostly just big fluffy images. Probably the first 90% of that is pretty easy and the last 10% might be somewhat difficult, but not too bad.

It would be fun to try.