Do I really need a web framework?

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Mon Sep 30 17:53:27 EDT 2013

In <f4a6d31f-cffe-4c03-9586-4f00f9037516 at googlegroups.com> dufriz at gmail.com writes:

> I want to set up a very simple website, and I need to know if it is
> necessary to use a web framework (e.g. Django) to do basic interactive
> operations such as receiving input from the user, looking up a database
> and returning some data to the user.

No, it's not necessary.  But depending on how large your website is,
using a framework can end up being a lot less work than doing it from
scratch.

> What do you suggest, keeping in mind that I am a newbie and that my
> website project would be very simple and very small?

That depends on how you define "very simple" and "very small".

For example, how many different pages will your website have?

A login page?
A search entry page?
A search results page?
A help page?
An error page?
A logout page?
Any other pages?

I worked on a project that did its own web handling from scratch, and
frankly it was a nightmare.  But it wasn't a small project, so yours
might be doable.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears